Horse racing systems, racing ratings, horse racing software, horse racing staking plans and greyhound systems


Whole Box & Dice

Daily Ratings

The Grail

Speed Ratings

Par Times

Free Articles Library

Track Information

Racing Statistics

Free Staking Plans

Selfrate Software

Past Champs (A - L)

Past Champs (M - Z)

Feature Race Winners

Sport On This Day

Free Systems

Your Feedback

Speedrate 2016 software

Contact Us

Terms Of Use

Copyright Notice


Flemington's wild old days

A horrible tragedy was enacted at Flemington on Saturday afternoon when a defaulting bookmaker was pursued by an infuriated mob on the flat and eventually beaten and kicked to death.
The man's name was Donald John McLeod a big muscular fellow, 23 years of age, and weighing about 15 stone. He lived in Cardigan Street, Carlton.

On Saturday he and a man named Frank Ritchie drove to the course and McLeod took up his stand on a box from which he loudly called the odds on the Grand National Steeplechase.

He went out with the intention of betting only on that race but there was a strong run on Lady Doris for the limit race and McLeod, probably thinking she wouldn't win, was unable to resist the offers of the crowd to bet with him. He made over 20 bets about Lady Doris and stood to lose £4/15/0 ($9.50) if she won.
He did not bet on any other horse and when Lady Doris won he was unable to pay and had to return the money with the usual promise to settle on Monday.

On the second race too he laid £4/10/ to £1/10/ ($9 to $3) about the favourite, mostly in shillings (10 cents) Again the favourite won, and again McLeod 'scaled ' his clients.
By this time he must have been rather a marked man and had, no doubt, made not a few bitter enemies among the crowd. Still he boldly went on betting on the Steeplechase.
Altogether he made 34 bets and received 47 shillings ($4.70) Seven bets were made on Deportation for which he would have had to pay out £8/10/ ($9) and he had only £2/7/in his bag. Deportation won and the seven people who had backed him presented their tickets in response to McLeod's cry of "I'll pay the winner".

He did not pay however but simply handed back the amounts of the seven bet 10/ ($1) in all with a promise to settle up on "Saturday night or Monday" in "front of Wren's"
The seven who had been scaled complained loudly. Previous victims of McLeod’s methods of payment joined them and in a few minutes McLeod was being hustled and hunted by a crowd ever growing noisier and more violent. He was struck several times, and then becoming terrified he ran towards the (booths?).

The crowd streamed after him like a wedge, the fastest runners in front. McLeod's white hat and face could be seen darting across the flat. Then the point of the wedge reached him, and as he went down, the rest of the crowd surged round him and he was lost sight of in a mass of whirling fists and kicking feet.

Some of his friends and a few men with ideas of fair play forced the crowd off and McLeod again got away, only to be caught again by the crowd and literally beaten to death.
By this time two mounted constables put in an appearance and rode the crowd away from the dead man. His body was carried to the casualty room on a stretcher, and Dr Mollison, after a brief examination, pronounced life extinct.

There were a number of well-known welchers on the flat on Saturday. Just before McLeod was beaten to death, Detective Tognini, who was standing near the gate leading from the flat to the outer carriage paddock, saw a big crowd following and abusing four men whom he knew to be welshers.

He spoke to one of the welshers, and then, on pushing through the crowd, he saw McLeod lying on the ground, with two troopers keeping a circle clear.
Just then another crowd came along in chase of another welsher. This man escaped from his pursuers, but not till most of his clothing had been torn off him.
"There was a very thick and furious crowd following the welchers" said Detective Tognini "but I saw blows struck. There was a rough and tumble, as is always the case, on such occasions."

Three men, Robert Allsop, John James Carrig and Frederick Fauvel, all residents of Windsor, were attacked by a party of welshers. The men evidently supposed that Allsop was one of those who had attacked McLeod, for they called out, 'Here he is', 'Come on Friday', ' Come on Joe' and rushed at Allsop.

He was struck in the face with a fist and then received a heavy blow from behind with a short length of chain. This cut his head badly and necessitated his removal to the Melbourne Hospital.

(This article from The Argus, July 16, 1906)