advantages: Of least importance at 1200 and 1600
first racetrack in the Alice was on the Emily plain on the East
Side of town near where the Federal sports club was later established.
In 1878 racing shifted to the Claypan site, west of MacDonnell
siding. A track also existed in the heart of town, near where
the police station now stands.
Mount Nancy Racecourse was established in 1928, after a Royal
Dedication of land was made for public recreation. The last race
meeting at the Mount Nancy Racecourse was on 18 June 1977, with
the last race being won by a horse called Abeson trained by Gary
Curnow and ridden by Tommy Gibbs.
moved to Pioneer Park on the South Stuart Highway in 1977, following
the closure of the Mount Nancy Racecourse, which was on the North
side of town, approximately where Head Street is now situated.
first race meeting at Pioneer Park, just south of Heavitree Gap,
was on Saturday 25 June 1977. The first race of the day was won
by a horse called Cobbs, trained by Dudley McIntyre and ridden
by Max Chapman.
The new Member's facility was
officially opened on Saturday 24 June 2000 by The Hon. Loraine
Braham, MLA Minister for Central Australia in time to coincide
with the 23rd Anniversary of Racing at Pioneer Park.