Recent Times Recorded
advantages: Of least importance at 1500
and colorful history of the Cairns Jockey Club started in
the townships Mining Exchange Hotel in July 1884. Over fifty
enthusiastic people signed up for membership and the very
first race meeting was conducted shortly after. The day was
proclaimed a holiday, and the meeting attracted attendees
from as far a field as Herberton and Port Douglas.
family generously donated the land where the club is currently
located, with the first race meeting held in 1911. Records
show that the celebrated Cairns Cup was first conducted in
the early 1900’s, with only the war years interrupting
the continuous running of this event.
times several developments have taken place at Cannon Park.
The grandstand was opened 15th July 1972, by the then Minister
of Racing the Honorable Sir Gordon Chalk KBE. It was shortly
after that work was started to an extension which now houses
the main public bar, tote office and windows, and the Barrier
Reef function room. New improvements include the extension
of the gallops track to 1800m, construction of the horse swimming
pool, completion of the air-conditioned swab stall, upgraded
stewards towers and installation of an improved semaphore
board and photofinish systems.